Friday 21 October 2016

Troll and Pumpkin update


                                   I,ve been playing in the garden again today .


                            I gave the topiary Troll a trim and a new  " hair-do " .


 Next I decide to harvest my Jumbo Pink Banana Squash ..I,m afraid I forgot to sow my traditional big Pumpkin seeds ....but this Pink Banana Squash more than makes up for it.


Here it is growing on the vine , to begin with it clambered up on this pig-wire spiral fence I set up , but as the Squash grew It eventually became necessary  to give it the stool to sit on ..this worked really well , keeping the skin of the squash in good condition .
 
                   
                      Here I am with my beautiful Jumbo Pink Banana Squash .

 I wanted to try growing  the  Jumbo Pink Banana Squash ,as it is very similar to the Gete Okosomin Squash that I am hoping to get seeds of soon .....maybe next year  or the year after .   I think that these can actually  get much bigger than this ...but I,m very happy with this and we will probably  either make soup or roast this up in chunks along with our roast potatoes  for Sunday lunch . I,ll be saving the seeds too .


 The butternuts were a bit of a disappointment  this year ....many folk are saying the same thing about them ...usually I get up to 13/15 butternuts ....this year only 3..and I,m not sure if they are going to make it ..hmmm...maybe one . Which is such a shame , we love butternuts in our family !


                                                   Still ripening on the vine .


        Next seasons Pumpkin Patch ...hopefully  for one  very special Squash  !

1 comment:

  1. I do love your troll! Pleased he's looking so well.
    Never heard of a Pink Banana squash, is it called banana after the shape or flavour? Seems a shame to eat it after taking such good care of it - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete